Can this year be the biggest Dana Cup ever?
Dana Cup 2013 looks like it will be a huge tournament, if not the biggest ever.
With just a few days before our registration deadline we have already passed the number of teams that took part in our largest tournament to date. In 2007 there were 852 teams on the list. Now we have 864 on the participating list. From experience though, we know that some teams will have to pull out at the last minute but there will also come many entries up to the deadline.
- Last year we had 832 teams on the list and it looks like we will have more this year. But we are always a little skeptical until we have everything in place says Dana Cup daily leader, Jette Andersen.
- I believe that we will have a fantastic tournament this summer and not just because we have many teams on the way but because they are coming from 53 different nations.
We appreciate the number of nations as we are proud to say we are the most international youth soccer tournament in the World.
Jette Andersen and her team are now eagerly awaiting the final days of registration.
We are aware that a very big tournament is just around the corner and this places a great demand on our organization and helpers around the Dana Cup.
Photo: Dana Cup Sports Center
Børge Christensensvej 5, 9800 Hjørring, Denmark
Dana Cup´s administration has moved into a new building. From today the new Dana Cup address is Børge Christensensvej 5, 9800 Hjørring. Dana Cup has moved into the former living quarters of the Hjørring Vandrerhjem.
Our telephone and e-mail have moved with us. If you would like to give us a call our numbers are the same
+45 98 91 13 00 or +45 98 91 17 00
For a few years the Dana Cup´s administration worked in a small area on Idræts Alle but now we have established a modern office environment in the middle of the Dana Cup center where the Dana Cup is held each year, the last week in July.
Spring is on the way to little Denmark and the grass is turning green on Northern Europes best soccer arena.
So entries are rolling in for our Dana Cup tournament this summer. Regardless of the weather you can always be sure that the playing fields are in perfect condition.
International atmosphere and in a safe and secure arena
Anyone who has participated in the Dana Cup knows that our tournament has a very special international atmosphere. With more than 800 teams from 45 different countries, Dana Cup is the World's most international youth soccer tournament. Your team is guaranteed matches against teams from all around the world.
The short distances between the schools and the playing fields, along with the safe environment, contribute to making our tournament something very special.
Dana Cup – "international" classes
Dana Cup is known for being the world's most international tournament with 90% of teams who participate being foreign teams. This means you will always play in a group with teams from different countries.
Free Dana Cup bus transport
If you wish to arrive a day earlier or depart a day later, it doesn't cost any extra to stay on a school.
Dana Cup can assist you with booking extra meals on the school.
All teams paying the normal A or B-Band participation fee and arriving by ferry to Frederikshavn, Hirtshals, Århus or Grenå, train to Hjørring or plane to Aalborg or Århus airport, can take advantage of our very special offer to be picked up free of charge at the terminal and taken to your school and the same when you depart again.
During the tournament you are not dependent on your own transport or public transport as Dana Cup has its own free bus transport system running non-stop between the schools and the playing fields.
Come and join the rest of the World here in Hjørring.
Our entry deadline is the 1st of May - Enter your club here
Two more months to enter
The deadline to enter your team to the Dana Cup 2013 is just under 2 months away.
We are extremely excited as there is a huge amount of interest for this years tournament. With more entries then normal for this time of the year we are optimistic and in belief that the Dana Cup will once again reach a record number of teams, participants and nationalities. Teams from all around the World are signing up, many are old friends from the years past but there are also plenty of new teams from exciting places around the globe who are trying their luck for the very first time.
We have a very strong feeling that the knowledge of the Dana Cup is being spread positively. People appreciate playing football on our beautiful green grassed soccer fields and meeting other young people from all around the World. With accommodation on your school and other places very close to the playing fields, you can be assured of having a good experience when you move between your accommodation and the fields.
The activities that are available in your freetime off the playing field are very popular. In the Dana Cup center area you will find a huge waterland, event area and rides. Just 15 minutes drive from the Dana Cup center you will find the most beautiful white sandy beaches and a huge fun park just 40 minutes from the center and much more.
At Visit Nordjylland you can see what fantastic experiences await you in the different parts of North Jutland.
Check out some - Facts for the Dana Cup Hjørring.
- More than 800 teams from 40 countries
- Denmark's largest sporting event
- The World's third largest youth soccer tournament
- The World's most international youth soccer tournament with 90% foreign teams
- Excellent grass fields in a safe environment
- 20,000 participants playing in international groups
- Free pick up and drop off at the train, ferry and airport in Northern Jutland
- Free buses between the schools, the Dana Cup center and the playing fields
- Free Dana Cup event area, free Wi-Fi in the schools and the center area and more
- Kilometers of beautiful sandy beaches close by
- A fantastic organization with top class personal customer service
- Memories for the rest of your life
Our entry deadline is the 1st of May - Enter your club today here
We look forward to welcoming you and your club to Hjørring this summer.
Photo: Flemming Nielsen on the road for Dana Cup
Dana Cup offering trainer support
Wednesday the 20th of February you will once again find the Dana Cup on the road in Germany.
The extremely experienced elite coach Flemming Nielsen, who took the womens team from Fortuna Hjørring to the top will train SdU's under 16 national team on the artificial field at IF Stjernen in Flensburg. Flemming Nielsen who is also connected to the Dana Cup will do an evaluation of the training in the clubhouse after the session on the field.
At the same time as we offer training and instructing, Flemming will present the Dana Cup in Hjørring to the coaches. We are aiming to increase the interest for the Dana Cup in Northern Germany through these efforts.
Photo: Kasper Poulsen, Jette Andersen and Leo Leite.
Visit to Disney for inspiration
Disney is more than just cartoon characters. There are also huge theme parks, one of which you will find in Orlando Florida, Disney's Wide World of Sports Complex located right next door to the parks.
Dana Cup representatives have recently visited the huge sports center with 17 soccer fields and several other sporting grounds for other sports.
- It is impressive and we are inspired in different ways, both in the running of our tournament and activities on the side lines says Dana Cup Leader, Jette Andersen.
- We are of course not on the same level as Disney but there are many of the larger things that they work with that we can incorporate with the Dana Cup.
Jette Andersen is looking forward to working on the American ideas.
Sales Director Leo Leite from Disney was the man who took the Dana Cup representatives Jette Andersen, Kasper Poulsen and Torben Vandsted on the very inspirational tour and lecture.
Now we will work on the ideas in Hjørring. This will lead to Dana Cup participants enjoying an even higher level of satisfaction at an international level.
Photo: Leo Leite talks enthusiastically about their arena with Jette Andersen listening.
Photo: Alison Leigh Forman, Carlos Benavides and Jette Andersen
Never forgets the Dana Cup
- Dana Cup is an experience I will never forget!
These words were spoken by one of Peru's most famous soccer stars Carlos Benavides who is now a director at Club Sporting Cristal in Lima and who played at the Dana Cup 20 years ago with Cantolao.
This was one of the reasons why the Dana Cup representatives received such a great reception and tour of the Peruvian top club headquarters in Lima and there is no doubt that the Dana Cup is a goal for many of the youth teams from Club Sporting Cristal.
- I really want our young players to have the same lifetime experience that I had. I have travelled all around the World with the national team and club team but I always have Dana Cup in my memory as the "biggest" experience.
The trip to Europe and Hjørring has made my soccer life more eventful. Carlos is an former Peruvian national team player who has won many championships with Club Sporting Cristal. Now he is together with Club Sporting Cristal planning their trip to the Dana Cup and there is no doubt that the boys from the club will help to make everyones soccer experience in Hjørring a good one.
Photo: Our guide Jose Ramirez, agent Patricia Espinosa, Alison Leigh Forman, F. Mellan, Jette Andersen and Torben Vandsted.
Photo: Dante Mandriotti, Jette Andersen, Alison Leigh Forman and two young soccer players from Cantolao.
Peru welcomes the Dana Cup
220 young South American soccer players are dribbling the ball around in 28 to 30 degrees heat on 4 of the fields in Peru's capital Lima. They are participating in one of South Americas most prestigious youth tournaments, the Copa Amistad.
The players come from all around South America and this means you can experience some very elegant soccer. That is exactly what Dana Cup's International Secretary Alison Forman and the Daily Leader Jette Anderden are experiencing in these days.
The Dana Cup representatives have been given a very warm welcome by the South Americans and most of all from the Copa Amistad organization. The president Dante Mandriotti "Kiko" has been introducing the Dana Cup reps to the many club leaders.
No matter where the Danes show up, there is a huge amount of interest for the Dana Cup and there are many clubs who wish to make Dana Cup a goal for their young soccer players, even though they will have to prepare themselves to play in slightly cooler conditions on the fields in Hjørring.
- We have made some great contacts this way. I cannot say for sure that we will get more teams from South America to the Dana Cup but on the other hand I am sure that we will see positive results from our visit this year and in the years to come, says Alison Forman.
- We are very happy to have the South American teams in our tournament as they offer Dana Cup an exiciting style of soccer that everybody loves to watch and play against, says Jette Andersen.
- We feel that we have not seen a satifactory development in teams from South America the last few years and therefore we decided to take this trip this year. Like Alison, I believe we will see positive results from our efforts.