Warm reception at the Cuban Sports Institution
Cuba is a country that has produced several major sporting persons and athletes and until now, football has been in the shadow of baseball. But today, football is on the rise and at the same time, Cuba since 2015 have a more open policy, the Dana Cup can see an opportunity to include the tropical nation with the already 115 nations that have been represented at the Dana Cup in Hjørring.
A delegation from the Dana Cup has just recently visited Havana.
- I believe that we will see results, perhaps not this year but from 2018. I am without doubt convinced that the Cuba people are interested, says Director - Jette Andersen from the Dana Cup. It is an exciting task to invite Cuban teams to the Dana Cup. Cuba is a nation where baseball is on top but we also experienced during our stay, that the children were playing football everywhere it was possible in Havana.
Jette Andersen admits that it can be difficult to make contacts but it can be achieved.
- Now we have a good understanding about the organization of football in Cuba and it is very different to what we know in Denmark, says Jette Andersen. They do not have clubs as we do in Denmark, they play football in their schools and it is a part of their educational system. This is what we know so far and thus a very important partner in Cuba is INDER, the National Institute of Sports, Physical Education and Recreation.
We received a fantastic welcome and there is no doubt that the Director, Adelaida Ramos Puig, together with three others, will do all she can to see teams from Cuba at the Dana Cup and hopefully already here in 2017. They can see the meaning in uniting Cuban children with other young children from all around the World. At the meeting in Havana there was also a representative from UNICEF, who is also very interested in establishing connections between Cuba and the Dana Cup.
We would like to thank our agent, Patricia Espinosa for all of her assistance in setting up the meetings in Cuba.
Photo: An important meeting with INDER gave hope that Cuba will be represented at the Dana Cup. From the left, Marketing Alison Leigh Forman - Dana Cup, Director Adelaida Ramos Puig - INDER, Amièe Betancourt - UNICEF Cuba and Director Jette Andersen - Dana Cup.
Dana Cup to meet US coaches
The tournament invites the whole world within.
Direct contact with thousands of American soccer coaches will assist in making the Dana Cup Hjørring and even wider tournament. For many years, the Dana Cup have been present when the American soccer coaches meet in Los Angeles at their yearly convention, the NSCAA.
- For many years the number of American teams was very high but after 9/11 there was a major decline. Now we would like to get the numbers back up again, says the Director of the Dana Cup - Jette Andersen.
- The participation of more American teams, means more interest from other nations to participate.
- So being a part of the NSCAA Convention, not only gives more American teams but also more teams from other nations and that makes the Dana Cup Hjørring even more interesting.
Dana Cup is represented at the convention with Director - Jette Andersen, Marketing - Alison Leigh Forman, Accommodation Co-ordinator Bob Knudsen Andersen and Event & Sponsor Director - Mads Larsen. They are excited to welcome guests at the convention.
The convention opens on Thursday the 12th of January and the Dana Cup stand closes again on the 14th of January.
New Dana Cup Video
Dana Cup together with our partners Gistrup Film, have renewed our promotion video for 2017. Our video is a central part of our stand when the Dana Cup opens up on Thursday the 12th of January at the American Coaches Convention NSCAA (National Soccer Coaches Association of America).
Dana Cup has lost its Master of Ceremonies
Jens Jørgen Gaardbo Andersen, aged 67 has passed away.
JAN. 11-15 // LOS ANGELES
Kasper Poulsen's funeral is on the 9th of December at 1.30 pm at the Sct. Catharinæ Church in Hjørring
At the Dana Cup and Fortuna Hjørring we have lost a fantastic employee and friend. Kasper Poulsen passed away on Saturday the 26th of November.
Kasper meant a lot to all of us, he made sacrifices for us and we are many who had the pleasure of knowing and meeting Kasper. It was not only in Hjørring that Kasper's good humor and helpfulness was felt. We know this, as condolances are flooding in from all around the Word from people who felt his helpfullness and who learned to appreciate him.
Kasper's spirit is closely linked to the Dana Cup and Fortuna. His heart was in Fortuna and with young footballers generally. We wish to keep Kasper's memory alive and feel that it is appropriate to establish a Kasper Poulsen Travel Fund. Even though it looked like Kasper lived his life only in Fortuna and at the Dana Cup, he also loved to explore the World outside of Landlyst and Park Vendia. He could recount numerous adventures to many places, with the USA being a favourite.
Future football players and leaders must also have the opportunity to experience the great "Football World". Kasper Poulsen's Travel Fund will make this possible. The fund will be administered by a committee in Fortuna and the Dana Cup. Part of the capital and returns will be distributed evenly to footballers and leaders, both individual players and teams. The distribution from the fund will take place once a year. The committee can decide to distribute several times. Guidelines for the fund are being prepared.
Kasper Poulsen's funeral is on Friday the 9th of December at 1.30 pm at the Sct. Catharinæ Kirke in Hjørring. Afterwards their is a memorial gathering at the Dana Cup SportsCenter.
The fund is already established and you can contribute with an amount instead of flowers to Kasper's Travel Fund.
IBAN: DK0290011400042329 Swift: SPNODK11
Kasper Poulsens Rejsefond
c/o Fortuna Hjørring
Børge Christensens Vej 5, 9800 Hjørring
Remember to note the name of sender with your payment.
Kasper Poulsen has passed away
Represent your country at the Dana Cup Hjørring
International Youth Soccer - at it's best
after years of experience and learning. We offer a platform for young soccer players to unite and experience passion for football, respect, unity, equality, friendships and much more.
* More than 1.100 teams from 45 countries
* Denmark's largest sporting event
* The World's third largest youth soccer tournament
* The World's most international youth tournament with 90% foreign teams
* Excellent grass fields in a safe environment
* 20,000 participants playing in international groups
* Kilometers of beautiful sandy beaches close by
* A fantastic organization with top class personal customer service
* Memories for the rest of your life
Hotels and upgrades for teams
More and more clubs are making Dana Cup a family getaway and a yearly tradition. Dana Cup can assist parents, family members and supporters wishing to book accommodation while they are here in Hjørring.
All of the options found on our website here are booked by the Dana Cup, so orders have to be made through our office.
Hotels are always cheapest via the Dana Cup and there is a discount on the D-band if you book your hotel via the Dana Cup.
1 room apartment for 4 persons with toilet, shower, TV, Wi-Fi and a little kitchen. The price is EUR 1.690 for 5 nights from Monday to Saturday. Extra nights cost EUR 338 per night. The price includes bed linen, towels and breakfast.
Dana Cup 2017 brochure
All the information you need to help make a decision to take part in the Dana Cup 2017 are now gathered in our new brochure.